Dr Mohammed Matar Salem bin Abid Al Kaabi
Born at Al Waha Hospital in Al Ain on July 16, 1966, H.E. Dr. Mohammed Matar Salem bin Abid Al Kaabi studied in the Military School From 1st Grade of elementary school to 3rd grade of high school/Science and excelled throughout his academic career. He obtained his bachelor's degree in Islamic and Arabic Studies from the College of Islamic and Arabic Studies in Dubai in 1994 and a master's degree in Islamic Jurisprudence and its principles from Mohammed V University, Morocco in 1998. In 2002 he completed his PhD (with distinction) in Islamic Studies, Unit of Research in Islamic Studies Curriculums from the same University. His PhD dissertation was recommended for publication.
Dr. Al Kaabi assumed various leadership positions in the UAE Armed Forces where he progressed from Candidate to Lieutenant Colonel (Candidate, Second Lieutenant, Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Lieutenant Colonel). He obtained the Sheikh Rashid Award for Scientific Excellence for his master’s degree. During his military career, he attended many training sessions where he got first class distinction like in skydiving. He also took part in strategic-focused workshops. Some of his other roles included a physical education trainer, signaling devices' instructor and shooting referee. He worked in Britain for a period of five years.
In recognition of his academic achievements, he was presented two times with the Sheikh Rashid Award for Scientific Excellence for his master's degree and for his PhD. He was also awarded the Pan Arab Wise Leadership Certificate of Excellence in 2012. Other awards he received were Kuwait Liberation Medal and Good Service Medal and Good Service Medal.
Dr al Kaabi presented lectures at the Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research and chaired many master and PhD theses' examining committes. Previously, he supervised educational activities for summer schools.
Dr Al Kaabi has been studying Arabic calligraphy. He excelled in Naskh (cursive) and Ruqaah (patch) writings, Persian calligraphy in addition to Diwani (a decorative writing distinguished by the complexity of the line within the letter and the close juxtaposition of the letters within the word) and Tulut (a writing style marked by elongated verticals). He is also interested in Arabic grammar and syntax, Arabic poetry, especially the pre-Islamic one. His favourite recreations are volleyball, swimming, shooting, horse riding and scubadiving.
Dr. al Kaabi is a seasoned public administrator with more than 25 years of administration experience. Previously, he held
the following posts:
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of the General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowments.
- Chairman of the General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowments.
- Chairman of Board of Trustees of Mohammed V University – Abu Dhabi.
- Head of the UAE Official Haj Mission.
- Former Chairman of the Zayed House for Islamic Culture.
- Secretary-General of the Emirates Fatwa Council.
- Former Chairman of the National Conference Committee Board.
- Former Member of the Islamic Fiqh Academy.
- Former Member of Supreme Council the General Secretariat for Fatwa Authorities Worldwide.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Centre
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Supreme Council of Motherhood and Childhood
- Member of Religions for Peace headquartered in USA.
- Secretary-General of the Forum for Promoting Peace in Muslim Societies.
- Director General of the al Muwatta Centre
- More than 25 years of administration experience
- Professor at Mohammed V University-Agdal-Abu Dhabi
- Former physical education trainer
- Former Shooting referee
- Friday Sermon Khateeb/ live streaming
- Took part in strategic-focused workshops
- Participated in more than 16 military training sessions where he got first class distinction
- Has written a daily feature article during Ramadan for Al Ittihad Newspaper from 2009 until 2012.
- Obtained license in the recitation of the holy Quran of Asim reading via the two reciters: Warsh and Hafs.
Honours and Medals
- Kuwait Liberation Medal
- Good Service Medal
- Sheikh Rashid Award for Scientific Excellence
- Order of Merit for Science and Art – First Class/ awarded by Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi in 2015.
- Order of the Two Niles First Class, Sudan’s highest national medal/ awarded in 2016 by His Excellency the President of the Republic of Sudan.
- Took part in proofreading, supervision and layout of more than 250 publications of the General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowments
- “Manhaj al Istidlal al Fiqhi inda Ibn Hazm wa Ibn Abdul Birr” (The Jurisprudential Approach to the Inference of Ibn Hazm and Ibn Abdul Birr)
- “Al Unf fi al Turath al Islami: Ibra wa Dhikra” (Violence in Islamic Heritage: Lessons and Reflections)
- “Dawr al Maraa fi Binaa al Mujtamaa” (The Role of Women in Building Society).
- Natharat fi al Din wa al Fikr wa al Mujtamaa" (Insights into Religion, Thought and Society).
- “Mudawat al-Nufoos wa Tahdhib al-Akhlaq: Tahqiq” (Curing the Self and Rectifying Manners: A Critical Account).
- “Maathiru al Aalam” (The Legacy of the Masters).
- “Li Qawmin Yatafakkaroon” (For Those Who Reflect).
- “Seerat al Imam Malik” (Biography of Imam Malik).
- Lameiiat Al Arab (Explaination).
- Tanbih Aluqala Lealhazar min Alasdiqa.
- Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Peace.
- Editor-in-Chief of Al-Muwatta Magazine.
- General Manager of Manar Al Islam Magazine.
- General Manager of Co-Existence Magazine.