His Excellency Dr. Mohammed Matar Salem Al Kaabi
Born at Al Waha Hospital in Al Ain, the United Arab Emirates, H.E. Dr. Mohammed Matar Salem Al Kaabi studied in the Military School from 1st grade of elementary school to 3rd grade of high school/major in Science and excelled throughout his academic career. He obtained his bachelor’s degree in Islamic and Arabic Studies from the College of Islamic and Arabic Studies in Dubai in 1994 and a master’s degree in Islamic Jurisprudence and its Principles from Mohammed V University, Morocco 1998. In 2002, he obtained his PhD (with distinction) in the Islamic Studies, Unit of Research in the Islamic Studies Curriculums from the same University. His PhD dissertation was recommended for publication.
Dr. Al Kaabi assumed various leadership positions in the UAE Armed Forces, where he progressed from Candidate to Lieutenant Colonel (Candidate, Second Lieutenant, Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Lieutenant Colonel). He obtained the Sheikh Rashid Award for Scientific Excellence for his master’s degree. He attended many training sessions throughout his military career where he received first-class distinction, such as in skydiving. He worked in Britain for a period of five years.
In recognition of his academic achievements, he was presented two times with the Sheikh Rashid Award for Scientific Excellence for his master’s degree and PhD. He was also awarded the Pan Arab Wise Leadership Certificate of Excellence in 2012. Other awards he received were the Kuwait Liberation Medal and Good Service Medal, and Good Service Medal.
Dr al Kaabi presented lectures at the Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research and chaired many master and PhD theses’ examining committees. Previously, he supervised educational activities for summer schools.
Dr Al Kaabi has been studying Arabic calligraphy. He excelled in Naskh (cursive) and Ruqaah (patch) writings, Persian calligraphy in addition to Diwani (decorative writing distinguished by the complexity of the line within the letter and the close juxtaposition of the letters within the word) and Tulut (a writing style marked by elongated verticals). He is also interested in Arabic grammar and syntax, Arabic poetry, especially the pre-Islamic one. His favourite recreations are volleyball, swimming, shooting, horse riding and scuba diving.
Previous and present posts:
- Chairman of the General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowments.
- Former Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Mohammed V University – Abu Dhabi.
- President of the UAE Official Haj Mission.
- Former President of the UAE Official Mission.
- Former Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Zayed House for Islamic Culture.
- Former Vice-Chairman of the National Conference Committee Board.
- Former Member of the Islamic Fiqh (Jurisprudence) Academy.
- Obtained license in the recitation of the holy Quran of Asim recitation via the two reciters: Warsh and Hafs.
- President of Friday Sermon Committee at Awqaf of the UAE.
- Former Member of the Moon-Sighting Committee.
- Head of a wide range of sub-committees.
- Former Head of Examination Committee for Preachers and Imams at Awqaf.
- Former Member of Supreme Council of the General Secretariat for Fatwa Authorities Worldwide.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Centre.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Supreme Council of Motherhood and Childhood.
- Former Secretary-General of the Forum for Promoting Peace in Muslim Societies.
- Former Director General of Muwatta Centre for Studies and Education.
- Having more than 35 years of experience in the realm of administration.
- Former Lecturer at Mohammed V University, Abu Dhabi.
- Former Physical Education Coach.
- Former Shooting Referee.
- Friday Sermon Khatib (speaker) / Live Streaming.
- Took part in strategic-focused workshops.
- Participated in more than 16 military training sessions where he obtained first class distinction.
- Former Schoolchildren Educational Supervisor in Summertime.
- Has written a daily feature article during Ramadan for the UAE-based Al-Ittihad Newspaper from 2009 until 2012.
- Former Member at the Organisation “Religions for Peace”, headquartered in the USA.
- Took part in proofreading, supervision and layout of more than 250 publications of the General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowments.
- “Manhaj al Istidlal al Fiqhi inda Ibn Hazm wa Ibn Abdul Birr” (The Jurisprudential Approach to the Inference of Ibn Hazm and Ibn Abdul Birr).
- “Athar Al Unf fi al Turath al Islami: Ibra wa Dhikra” (Violence in Islamic Heritage: Lessons and Reflections).
- “Dawr al Maraa fi Binaa al Mujtamaa” (The Role of Women in Building Society).
- Natharat fi al Din wa al Fikr wa al Mujtamaa” (Insights into Religion, Thought and Society).
- “Mudawat al-Nufoos wa Tahdhib al-Akhlaq: Tahqiq” (Healing the Self and Rectifying Manners: A Critical Account) of Ibn Hazm Al-Andalousi (Authentication).
- “Maathiru al Aalam” (The Legacy of the Masters).
- “Li Qawmin Yatafakkaroon” (For Those Who Reflect).
- “Seerat al Imam Malik” (Biography of Imam Malik).
- “Lameiiat Al Arab” ( Arabian ode rhyming in L) (Explanation).
- Tanbih Aluqala Lealhazar min Alasdiq (Informing the Wise to Beware Friends).
Honours and Medals
- Kuwait Liberation Medal.
- Good Service Medal.
- Order of Merit for Science and Art – First Class/ awarded by His Excellency Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi, President of the Arab Republic of Egypt, in 2015.
- Order of the Two Niles First Class, Sudan’s highest national medal/ awarded in 2016 by the former President of the Republic of Sudan.